Skip to main content

Galaxy Mixed Media Altered Pumpkin

Hello! I'm so glad you could join me today for my latest project! Are you getting ready for Fall? I love this time of year when the weather starts cooling down and it's pumpkin spice everything (though I must confess I've never had a pumpkin spice anything)!

One of my most favorite things to alter is pumpkins (fake ones)! It's literally starting to look like a pumpkin patch in my craft room because I've been hoarding them.  I have so many ideas! You can really do anything to a pumpkin that you can do to a canvas, only it's a more interesting shape!  For my first pumpkin of the season, I had the idea to do a Galaxy pumpkin! Here is what I came up with: (top view)

To start off my pumpkin, I used some graphite paste through a star stencil. Then I added some of Finnabair's mini stars and melange art pebbles.  After applying a coat of black gesso, I started to incorporate some of Finnabair's Texture Fantasy Rust Effect Pastes.  Aren't these colors yummy? 


  

After adding the rust effect pastes, I felt it needed something more.  I decided to apply Finnabair's Sparks acrylic paints in Raven Black and Iris Potion.  It added just the amount of shimmer that I was looking for.  


  
For some finishing touches, I applied some Opal Magic wax to the raised areas and then splattered watered down white gesso all over the pumpkin.  



So what do you think? It was a pretty easy project that lends that Wow factor!




I created a video tutorial so you can see how I made this unique pumpkin! You can check it out right here     

Thanks so much for stopping by! 

xoxo,

Shannon




Galaxy Pumpkin Supply List:


  • Walmart - Harvest Pumpkin - Cream #WFU4FPK208F
  • Prima - Finnabair - Art Extravagance - Texture Paste - Graphite #961497
  • The Dusty Attic - Starry Night Stencil #DA1763Y
  • Prima - Finnabair - Art Basics - Mixed Media Silicone Brush - 1” #963897
  • Prima - Finnabair - Mechanicals - Mini Stars #963354
  • Prima - Finnabair - Art Ingredients - Melange Art Pebbles #963323
  • Prima - Finnabair - Art Basics - Heavy Body Gel #963040
  • Prima - Finnabair - Art Basics - Heavy Gesso - Black #961459
  • Prima - Finnabair - Art Basics - 7 pc Brush Set #962760
  • Prima - Finnabair - Art Extravagance - Texture Fantasy - Rust Effect Paste - Junkyard Treasures #966010
  • Prima - Finnabair - Art Basics - Small Stencil Brush Set #965228
  • Prima - Finnabair - Art Extravagance - Texture Fantasy - Rust Effect Paste - Northern Lights #966027
  • Prima - Finnabair - Art Alchemy - Acrylic Paint - Sparks - Raven Black #964146
  • Prima - Finnabair - Art Alchemy - Acrylic Paint - Sparks - Iris Potion #964139
  • Prima - Finnabair - Art Alchemy - Opal Magic Wax - Royal Robes #964252
  • Golden - Fluid Acrylic Paint - Titanium White #5002380-1
  • Sponge
  • Fan Brush
     

Comments